Obama Blinks, Pulls Plug on Terror Trial

President Obama Likely to Order Military Commission Charges Dropped Against Terrorist Suspect Al-Nashiri Friday

ABC News has learned that on Friday, President Obama will likely order the Department of Defense’s Military Commission to withdraw charges against terrorist suspect Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri. The charges may later be reinstated in a military commission or pursued in a civilian court. Al-Nashiri will remain in custody.

The announcement will not be made until after President Obama meets with the families of victims of terrorist attacks on 9/11 and on the U.S.S. Cole, where he will assure them that this step is not being done to be lenient towards al-Nashiri. The move is being done to stop the continued prosecution of al-Nashiri in a court system that his administration may ultimately find illegitimate, not for any other reason, sources told ABC News.

See also:
This Could Get Interesting

/just as predicted

UPDATE:

Guantanamo judge who defied Obama issues new ruling

An Army judge who is defying a White House request to freeze the Pentagon’s war court ruled Thursday that he has the authority to decide whether the military’s security measures at Guantanamo impair a captive’s ability to defend himself.

Army Col. James Pohl said he would rule Monday on a defense motion asking that accused al Qaeda plotter Abd el Rahim Nashiri not have his eyes and ears covered when he’s brought to court. Nashiri is scheduled to be arraigned for Monday on charges that he conspired in the October 2000 suicide bombing of the USS Cole that killed 17 American sailors.

The prospect of the hearing is setting up a tug-of-war over whether the Pentagon will honor President Barack Obama’s Jan. 22 Executive Order instructing Gates to stop the military commissions for 120 days. Pohl last week refused a prosecution motion for the delay, saying “the public interest in a speedy trial will be harmed by the delay.”

. . .

Meanwhile, defense attorneys had asked Pohl to intervene in the circumstances by which Nashiri would be taken from his Guantanamo prison camp to the war court. The two are several miles apart at the U.S. Navy base.

The CIA has confirmed that it waterboarded Nashiri, a Saudi Arabian, to extract information during several years of secret custody before his transfer to Guantanamo in September 2006. Attorney General Eric Holder has said he considers waterboarding to be torture.

So Nashiri’s defense attorneys asked the judge for a cease-and-desist order in “the practice of covering the eyes and ears of the accused whenever [he] is transported from his cell.”

Defense lawyers argued in a motion filed Jan. 9 that the treatment causes psychological harm as “a re-infliction of . . . tortuous treatment.”

Prosecutors countered that the judge had no authority to interfere in the prison camps’ treatment of the accused.

Pohl said in his two-page ruling dated Thursday that the judge “does have the authority to address detainee security issues if they impact on the accused’s ability to prepare his defense.”

The judge added that, once Nashiri was brought to the war court Monday, for his first-ever hearing, Pohl would consider delaying it if the defense “believes the transportation of the accused has impaired his ability to participate in the proceedings.”

/so, is Pohl going to delay the trial after all?

UPDATE:

Charges dropped vs. suspect in 2000 USS Cole blast

The Pentagon says the senior military judge overseeing terror trials at Guantanamo Bay has dropped charges against a suspect in the 2000 USS Cole bombing.

The military charges against suspected al-Qaida bomber Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri marked the last active war crimes case at Guantanamo Bay.

The legal move by Susan J. Crawford, the top legal authority for military trials at Guantanamo, brings all cases into compliance with President Barack Obama’s executive order to halt all terrorist court proceedings at the U.S. Navy base in Cuba.

/well, I guess the matter’s out of Judge Pohl’s hands now

Stick a Fork in the Pork!

Enough is enough, there’s no way this bogus “stimulus” crap needs to be crammed down our throats today at the threat of economic catastrophe. If we really need stimulus, what’s the problem with taking the time to get it right? Why does it have to be rushed out before it can even pass the smell test?

CBO: Obama stimulus harmful over long haul

President Obama’s economic recovery package will actually hurt the economy more in the long run than if he were to do nothing, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office said Wednesday.

CBO, the official scorekeepers for legislation, said the House and Senate bills will help in the short term but result in so much government debt that within a few years they would crowd out private investment, actually leading to a lower Gross Domestic Product over the next 10 years than if the government had done nothing.

CBO estimates that by 2019 the Senate legislation would reduce GDP by 0.1 percent to 0.3 percent on net. [The House bill] would have similar long-run effects, CBO said in a letter to Sen. Judd Gregg, New Hampshire Republican, who was tapped by Mr. Obama on Tuesday to be Commerce Secretary.

Contact your Congresscriiters and TELL THEM TO STICK A FORK IN THE PORK!

See also:
U.S. House of Representatives
U.S. Senate
Let’s Get Wasted!
50 De-Stimulating Facts
The Stimulus: 300,000 Jobs for Illegals

/remember, it’s a trillion dollars of your money they’re looking to waste

Obummer Strikes Again, Doubles Down!

Obama warns of need for stimulus bill right away

Obama painted a bleak picture if lawmakers do nothing.

“This recession might linger for years. Our economy will lose 5 million more jobs. Unemployment will approach double digits. Our nation will sink deeper into a crisis that, at some point, we may not be able to reverse,” Obama wrote in the newspaper piece titled, “The Action Americans Need.”

First, he writes this in the morning paper and then, just like he has every day for the last two weeks, he gets on TV and repeats his apocalyptic bad mouthing of the economy. WTF is his problem?

You know what jerkface? We don’t even need your bloated pork carcass that contains less actual “stimulus” than you’ll find in a cat’s litter box. The economy will recover all by itself and the taxpayers won’t have wasted more than a trillion dollars!

/SO SHUT THE [EXPLETIVE DELETED] UP YOU CHICKEN LITTLE ASS!

Wardriving for Passports

Hacker copies passport data with off-the-shelf gear

In an astonishing display of the vulnerability of modern identification technology, Chris Paget, an “ethical hacker,” assembled $250 worth of electronic equipment that allowed him to scan and copy the information stored on radio-frequency identification (RFID) chips embedded in new passport cards (but not the traditional passport books), as well as in some enhanced drivers’ licenses, while he drove around San Francisco. According to Paget, whose 20-minute experiment was captured on video by The Register, it would be “trivial to program” blank tags with the skimmed identification numbers — a key part of the process of creating counterfeit cards.

Paget was able to scan passport cards from a moving car since the embedded RFID chips broadcast their information. This is a feature the State Department advertises as a convenience, saying, “With RFID technology, Customs and Border Protection inspectors will be able to access photographs and other biographical information stored in secure government databases before the traveler reaches the inspection station.”

See also:
Wardriving

/the law of unintended consequences strikes again

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 26 other followers