Our Friends The Pakistanis

Once again, Pakistan proves that they are far from being a trustworthy ally.

CIA chief in Pakistan flees after suspected ISI exposure

The Islamabad station chief of the Central Intelligence Agency hastily departed from Pakistan on Thursday after his cover was blown through a suspected deliberate leak by Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence.

Jonathan Banks was identified as the head of the CIA’s Pakistan office, in a lawsuit filed against the United States’ secretive spy agency by a resident of North Waziristan. The resident, Kareem Khan, was said to have filed the case against the CIA and Mr. Banks for their role in organising drone strikes that killed his son and brother.

The legal case brought by Mr. Khan called for murder charges to be brought against Mr. Banks and the CIA, and also reportedly said they should be executed for their crimes. Mr. Khan’s lawyer was quoted by the Guardian saying he had obtained Mr. Banks’ name from Pakistani journalists.

While Pakistan was quick to deny any involvement in leaking Mr. Banks’ name, U.S. officials were quoted as saying that since he had been identified publicly Mr. Banks “had received a number of death threats,” and they “strongly suspected” that the ISI had a hand in the leak.

See also:
CIA’s Pakistan chief removed
CIA Station Chief, His Cover Blown, Departs Pakistan
Cover Blown: CIA Station Chief in Pakistan Removed From Country
Pakistan Denies Outing US Spy
CIA Withdraws Pakistan Mission Chief
Pakistani spy agency denies it unmasked CIA chief
CIA Pulls Chief Spy From Pakistan
Top U.S. spy pulled from Pakistan after terror threats

Pakistan denies involvement in the leak? Oh, I see, it must have just been a lucky guess that just happened to correctly name the CIA station chief in Islamabad. Seriously, this is the thanks we get for pouring billions of dollars in annual aid down this rat hole? I’ve asked it before and I’ll ask it again, which side is Pakistan really on?

/they’re either with us or against us and, as far as I can tell, Pakistan is against us

Shaking Down Mayor McCheese

This lawsuit is exactly why the U.S. legal system needs to adopt the “loser pays” model for civil litigation. Ridiculous grifter [expletive deleted] like this would dissapear overnight.

McDonald’s sued over Happy Meals

Happy Meals are again under attack, this time in court.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest has filed a lawsuit against McDonald’s Corp., claiming that the company’s meals with toys unfairly entice children into eating food that can do them harm.

The Washington advocacy group warned McDonald’s in June that it would sue if the company did not stop providing toys with children’s meals that have high amounts of sugar, calories, fat and salt. The suit, filed in San Francisco Superior Court, seeks class-action status.

. . .

The lead plaintiff in the suit is Monica Parham, a mother of two from Sacramento who said the company “uses toys as bait to induce her kids to clamor to go to McDonald’s,” the organization said.

See also:
Happy Meal suit raises more than food, marketing questions
Suit claims toys in McDonald’s Happy Meals deceptive advertising
California mom sues McDonald’s over Happy Meals
McDonald’s `Happy Meal’ Toys Assailed in Lawsuit Filed by Consumer Group
Mom and Consumer Group Sue McDonald’s For Luring Kids with Happy Meal Toys
McDonald’s hit with class action over toys
Parents Or Judges: Who Should Rule On Happy Meals?
McDonald’s suit over Happy Meal toys by California mom Monet Parham new low in responsible parenting
Sac Mom At Center Of Happy Meal Lawsuit
Ronald McDonald in court
Center For Science In The Public Interest
McDonald’s

I know one thing for damn sure, if Monica Parham and the Center for Science in the Public Interest knew they’d have to pay McDonald’s attorneys’ fees when they lose this frivolous hamburglary extortion attempt, there’s no way in hell they’d bring this bull[expletive deleted] anywhere near a courthouse.

/and if Ms. Parham is such an unbelievably pathetic parent that she can’t even say no to her children, well, then maybe a visit from social services is in order

ACLU And CCR Heart Anwar Al-Awlaki

As usual, the ACLU and CCR are defending the enemies of the United States. Has there ever been a terrorist they didn’t like? This time, they’re upset about “targeted killing”, you know, killing enemy combatants during wartime, what a novel concept, never before seen in the history of warfare.

Anwar al-Awlaki: ACLU wants militant cleric taken off US ‘kill list’

Two US civil rights groups are asking a federal judge to halt an alleged Obama administration plan to kill an American citizen believed to be allied with Al Qaeda and hiding in Yemen.

The Center for Constitutional Rights and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) filed the lawsuit Monday in Washington. It asks US District Judge John Bates to order the government not to carry out the alleged plot to conduct a targeted killing of Anwar al-Awlaki.

Mr. Awlaki is a militant Islamic lecturer who used the Internet to spread the ideology of Al Qaeda. Born in the US and educated at American colleges, Awlaki has provided a bridge between militants overseas and some radical Muslims based in the US.

He is reported to have encouraged Fort Hood shooter Nidal Hasan. He allegedly helped train Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, who has been charged with attempting to blow up an airliner on Christmas Day, and is said to have inspired would-be Times Square bomber Faisal Shahzad.

According to the lawsuit, US officials placed Awlaki’s name on a “kill list” in early 2010. The suit says that American officials are using secret criteria to determine who goes on the list.

See also:
ACLU Sues Obama Administration Over Alleged Assassination Plot
Rights groups sue US over kill list
NY groups seek DC order blocking targeted killings
ACLU Sues to Block Targeted Killings
Rights groups challenge Obama on targeted killings
Rights groups sue US over ‘kill or capture’ list
ACLU Sues U.S. Over Targeted Killing of Citizens
A.M. Top News: Civil rights groups sue federal government for targeted killings of suspected American terrorists
American Civil Liberties Union
American Civil Liberties Union
Center for Constitutional Rights
Center for Constitutional Rights
Meet Al Qaeda’s Lifestyle Coach
Dead Cleric Walking

The evidence is overwhelming that Anwar al-Awlaki is a self-confessed al Qaeda operative with American blood on his hands, also known as a sworn enemy of the United States. Al-Awlaki puts out his own internet videos professing as much! As an enemy combatant on the global battlefield, he’s entitled to a bullet in the head, not his Fourth Amendment rights.

/the ACLU and CCR, they’re not anti-American, they’re just on the other side

Call Of Duty: Modern Lawfare

Back in March I wrote:

after what they did to the PC version of the Modern Warfare franchise, personally, I hope they sue each other into oblivion

Well, guess what?

Activision sues two fired developers

Activision Blizzard Inc. came out with guns blazing Friday in its legal battle with two former lead developers of Call of Duty, the video game publisher’s multibillion-dollar franchise.

In a lawsuit that read like a dramatic Hollywood script, Activision claimed it fired Jason West and Vincent Zampella in March because the two “morphed from valued, responsible executives into insubordinate and self-serving schemers who attempted to hijack Activision’s assets for their own personal gain.”

The Santa Monica firm accused West and Zampella of violating their employment contracts by meeting with a rival publisher — believed to be Electronic Arts Inc. — and using illicit means to recruit former colleagues to join them in forming a new independent game development studio.

An attorney for the pair called the claims “false and outrageous” and said that Activision itself proposed spinning off West and Zampella’s studio as part of a contract renegotiation last year.

Activision’s suit, filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court, counters a complaint that West and Zampella filed against their former employer March 3, two days after being fired as the heads of Infinity Ward, the Encino-based studio purchased by Activision in 2002. Infinity Ward has produced Call of Duty games since the inception of the franchise in 2003.

In their lawsuit, West and Zampella alleged that Activision fired them to avoid paying them royalties they earned from November’s Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, which has generated an estimated $1.3 billion in worldwide revenue.

The lawsuit claims Activision owes the duo at least $36 million in royalties and damages.

Activision responded in its complaint that “West and Zampella’s misdeeds formed an unlawful pattern and practice of conduct that was designed to steal the [Infinity West] studio, which is one of Activision’s most valuable assets — at the expense of Activision and its shareholders and for their own personal financial gain.”

Activision did not specify a dollar amount it would seek but claimed the publisher was entitled to withhold all future payments to West and Zampella to recover past payments “during the period of their disloyalty” and cover compensatory damages.

See also:
UPDATE 1-Activision countersues former executives
Activision countersues ‘Modern Warfare’ execs
Update: Activision files countersuit in ‘Modern Warfare’ case
Activision countersues ex-Infinity Ward execs
Activision: West, Zampella wanted to steal Infinity Ward
Activision goes to court over staff poaching accusations
Activision Countersues West and Zampella, “Call of Duty” Developers
Activision Sues Two Fired Call of Duty Developers
Can We Have Our Dedicated Servers Back Now?

That’s right, sue each other into oblivion you greedy weasel bastards! Screw you the way you screwed PC gamers!

/I’m pretty sure the next party to file legal papers gets to call in helicopter air strikes

If The Terrorist Enemy Of Our Enemy Renounces Terrorism Are They Our Freind Or Still Our Enemy?

Who’s side is the Obama administration really on here and who’s side should they be on?

Group sues US Government for labelling it terrorist

The People’s Mujahideen is sick and tired of being called a terrorist organisation by the US Government. So its leaders settled on a uniquely American strategy: they sued.

Yes, the group has done its share of assassinations, bombings, embassy attacks and killings of US troops. But that was long ago, and now the People’s Mujahideen says it has devoted itself to democracy and non-violence, and it would like very much to be taken off the State Department’s list of international terrorist groups.

Friends of the People’s Mujahideen Organisation of Iran – aka the Mujahideen-e-Khalq, aka the National Liberation Army of Iran, aka the National Council of Resistance, aka the Organisation of the People’s Holy Warriors – assembled on Tuesday at a courthouse in Washington to hear Andrew Frey of the firm Mayer Brown plead their case.

”Today’s PMOI is unique among foreign terrorist organisations,” the lawyer told a three-judge appellate panel. ”The organisation has forsworn violence. We walk the walk. There have been no terrorist acts by PMOI for eight years.”

People’s Mujahideen fighters were old-school terrorists who once battled the shah of Iran. They then went to Iraq and, with Saddam Hussein’s help, attacked the ayatollahs. They allegedly killed hundreds of people, but now they call themselves a non-violent Iranian opposition movement. About 3400 of them and their family members still live at Camp Ashraf in Iraq.

The Government’s lawyer, Douglas Letter, said he was not about to negotiate with ”an organisation that for at least 30 years has been involved in terrorism, violence, assassination …”

He admitted the public record was not sufficient to demonstrate that the group still poses a threat, but said classified material made it clear the group still deserves its terrorist listing. Here the People’s Mujahideen has a problem: it is allowed to respond to the classified evidence but not to see it.

Why Keep Iran Opposition Group on U.S. Terror List?

To the extent that the Iranian people’s six-month-old uprising for regime change is real, which it certainly is (“The People’s Revolt in Iran,” Review & Outlook, Dec. 22), the U.S. administration’s attitude toward it remains astonishing and unbelievable.

You should have mentioned that while current developments share striking similarities with those of 1978 prior to the Iranian revolution, the mistakes committed by the current Democratic administration bear striking resemblances to those of the Carter administration in 1978.

No one wants to see the U.S. interfering in Iran’s internal affairs. But it would be equally inexcusable to exercise silence while still pinning hope on nuclear negotiations with the clerical regime, a regime that is the primary state sponsor of international terrorism and whose rush to acquire nuclear weapons has brought on a regional crisis.

Washington is currently not on the side of the Iranian people. Even worse, by keeping the main Iranian opposition movement, the Mujahedin-e Khalq (PMOI/MEK), on the State Department’s terror list, it has in effect rewarded the Iranian regime. The terror tag, levied in 1997 by the Clinton administration, aimed to placate the regime and change its behavior. It is completely devoid of legal, moral and political justification.

After seven court rulings that annulled the terror label against the MEK, the U.K. and the EU removed the organization from their own lists in 2008 and 2009. A court in the U.K. ruled in 2008 that “The reality is that neither in the open material nor in the closed material is there any reliable evidence that supported a conclusion that PMOI retained an intention to resort to terrorist activities in the future.”

The MEK rejected violence in 2001 and voluntarily disarmed in 2003. Interviews and extensive investigations conducted by nine U.S. security agencies on more than 3,400 MEK members in Camp Ashraf, Iraq, revealed that they pose absolutely no threat to America’s national security.

When it comes to the nuclear issue, the MEK has also served as the world’s eyes and ears by exposing the mullahs’ clandestine nuclear weapons program for the past seven years.

Why this organization remains on the U.S. terror list is a lingering mystery in Washington.

The Obama administration should remove the unwarranted restrictions placed on the Iranian opposition. Politically and morally, it should place itself on the side of millions of Iranians who are chanting for freedom. After that, it can leave the rest to the Iranian people and their organized resistance movement.

See also:
FACTBOX: Who are the People’s Mujahideen of Iran?
People’s Mujaheddin swears it has changed its terrorist ways
D.C. Circuit Examines Iranian Group’s ‘Terrorist’ Designation
Remove PMOI from terror list
End Appeasement of Iran, But Don’t Pull the Trigger (Yet)
PMOI
People’s Mujahedin of Iran
National Council of Resistance of Iran

Even if Chiang Kai-shek had horns and a tail he should be supported as long as he is anti-communist and we can reform him later.

/MacArthur

There’s no forgiving the killing of Americans, no matter how long ago, but that was then and this is now and we need all the help we can get with Iran. The PMOI has already been removed from the U.K and EU terrorist lists and they did uncover Iran’s secret nuclear program. When alliances and circumstances change and it suddenly is in our national interest, it wouldn’t be the first time the United States has embraced a former enemy to combat a current threat. If the PMOI can help us achieve regime change in Iran, we should be working with them and not against them. It may not be the most palatable choice, but the other choices we face regarding Iran are much less palatable.

/in my opinion, this particular enemy of our enemy should be our friend

ACORN Takes A Shot At The Messengers

Who said there’s no such thing as bad publicity? The discovery process alone ought to be quite revealing. One thing’s for sure the money and pro bono lawyers will pour in to defend this lawsuit.

ACORN sues filmmakers

ACORN filed suit Wednesday in Baltimore, Maryland, against two filmmakers who secretly recorded videos embarrassing to the agency, claiming the pair violated state law by recording their conversations without permission of the employees involved.

The lawsuit seeks an injunction preventing the further distribution of the videos.

The recordings represented “clear violations of Maryland law that were intended to inflict maximum damage to the reputation of ACORN,” the community organizer’s attorney, Arthur Schwartz, said. “Unfortunately, they succeeded.”

Defendants James O’Keefe and Hannah Giles, conservative activists posing as a pimp and a prostitute seeking advice on setting up a brothel with underage girls from El Salvador, recorded the videos in Baltimore and three other cities.

Breitbart.com, registered to Washington Times conservative commentator Andrew Breitbart, is a co-defendant in the lawsuit. Contacted by CNN, Breitbart had no comment on the suit. O’Keefe and Giles did not respond to requests for comment.

See also:
ACORN Sues O’Keefe, Giles and Breitbart.com
ACORN Sues Makers of Hidden Camera Videos
ACORN Vows ‘Serious’ Internal Probe, Sues Filmmakers
ACORN sues hidden-camera filmmakers
ACORN sues Bretibart, ‘pimp, hooker’ duo
ACORN sues undercover filmmakers

Meanwhile, the ground continues to shift underneath ACORN’s foundation as the fallout from “Hookergate” continues to take its toll.

IRS severs ties with ACORN over scandal

The IRS says it is severing ties with ACORN, the community activist group involved in a scandal after employees were caught on video giving advice to a couple posing as a prostitute and pimp.

The Internal Revenue Service said Wednesday it would no longer include ACORN in its volunteer tax assistance program. The program offered free tax advice to about 3 million low- and moderate-income tax filers this spring.

The IRS said ACORN, which is short for the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, provided help on about 25,000 returns.

The House and Senate voted earlier this month to sever federal funding to ACORN. And the Census Bureau severed its ties with the group for the 2010 national head-count.

Liberal Dem blasts ACORN

A leading liberal Democrat in the House blasted the embattled community organizing group ACORN Wednesday and said he is urging the White House to withhold any federal funding for the group.

“I am very disappointed in the actions that were taken by members of ACORN,” Massachusetts Rep. Barney Frank, Chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, said in a statement Wednesday, “and I do not believe that ACORN’s response has been adequate for an organization that has received public funding.”

Frank also said in the statement that he is urging the Obama administration to withhold any additional funding for ACORN “at least until there is very firm evidence that the abuses of which ACORN members have been guilty have not only ceased, but that procedures are in place to prevent them from happening again.”

See also:
IRS, ACORN Sever Ties Over Scandal
IRS, ACORN sever ties over scandal
IRS severs ties to ACORN in wake of latest scandal
I.R.S. Severs Acorn Ties; Group Sues Over Video
Barney Frank flees ACORN
Frank turns against ACORN
Barney Frank, D-Mass: Time to de-fund ACORN
Barney Frank on Acorn
It Was Fraud, Fraud, Fraud, ‘Til Congress Took The Money Away
ACORN Roasting On A Simmering Fire

And ACORN wants even more publicity by filing a lawsuit? Bring it on! Then again, I’m not the one being sued.

/anyway, I know which side I’m rooting for, I hope they get a jury trial and it’s televised